Creations from wood

Creations from wood

Church structures and other structures with wood.

Read more
Information about the monastery

Information about the monastery

General information for the Holy Monastery.

Read more
Icons and Paintings

Icons and Paintings

Icons and paintings created by the monastery's monks.

Read more
 
Short history of Holy Monastery of Xenophon

Short history of Holy Monastery of Xenophon

The Holy Monastery of Xenophon is dedicated to Saint George and bears the name of the founder and first Abbot of St Xenophon.

The monastery was founded in the late 10th century, when by a miraculous way by sea reached the hagiography of St. George of Constantinople, after the persecution of iconoclasm.

During the last ten centuries, the monastery received the support of the emperors of Constantinople and the princes of Moldovlachia but suffered many tribulations (pirates, Monk's persecution, Turkish occupation, etc.).

 
Short history of Holy Monastery of Xenophon

In 1784, with the arrival of Hieromonk Paisios from Kavsokalyvia who was distinguished for his spiritual and prudent administration, the monastery returned to Priory and extended the building complex with a major new wing and new Catholic (1817-1839), the largest Monastery of Mount Athos.

Over the last thirty years, under the guidance of Elder Archimandrite and Abbot. Alexiou, paid struggle for the restoration of the building complex and to continue the traditionary art.